September 10, 2018
Please note that citrus gleaning registration will begin Friday, September 14, 2018 and end Monday, December 3, 2018.
Arcadia Water Company is again partnering with St. Mary’s Food Bank and Sun Orchard to offer residents a solution to the successful harvest of your citrus fruit. There are multiple benefits to you for the use of this service.
- The fruit gleaning will be organized and scheduled with advanced notice to the user. This means that you will be notified by St. Mary’s using your e-mail account at least three days prior to the picking of the fruit.
- The fruit picked will be either juiced or used as whole fruit by St. Mary’s Food Bank. The juice that is produced is also delivered to St. Mary’s for warehousing and later consumption. There is no waste and no dumping of fruit, ever. St. Mary’s Food Bank provides a vast amount of food to disadvantaged members of our community. The reach of St. Mary’s is far greater than the name might imply; it provides food for many of the other charities in Arizona—in fact, 80 million pounds of food were distributed in Arizona last year by St. Mary’s Food Bank.
- The trees will be picked by professional pickers who will continue to make certain the lawn is left as pristine as when they arrived.
- The picking will begin approximately January 14, 2019.
- Once registered, you will be assured that your trees will be picked. A new computer program has been installed which will make certain you are not forgotten. (I know, it happened before but it won’t happen again.)
- You will be afforded a tax deduction for the value of the fruit picked from your home. (Please make certain your tax professional reviews this to make certain the deduction is appropriately handled.)
$30 for each tree less than 20 feet high.
$35 per tree for each tree that is 20-25 feet high. (The additional amount is a function of the need for taller ladders and a much more difficult climb to make sure each tree is completely gleaned.
Trees with power lines running through them or adjacent to the trees that make it unsafe for gleaning will not be gleaned. Trees taller than 25 feet will not be gleaned.
Register your trees for picking by going to www.firstfoodbank.org. Click on the Citrus Gleaning button. This will then provide a signup sheet. You will be asked to provide your name, address, phone number, and your e-mail address and the number and types of trees you have. Easy, safe and secure. Please make sure you fill out all of the spaces.
Unfortunately, there were a few residents who did not pay for the gleaning last year. If they wish to have their trees gleaned this picking season they will have to pay the bill for last year.
As an added protection, when you register on-line and complete the form, you will receive an immediate confirmation that it has been accepted.
Once you have done that you can relax until you are notified by e-mail when your trees will be picked.
To repeat, the program signup will begin September 14 and will continue until December 3. Please note that this is the last day you can sign up. This will permit the organization and scheduling of grapefruit picking which is expected to begin in mid- January. The picking will continue until all registered homes have been gleaned. We will pick the grapefruit as rapidly as possible to avoid the problem of rat infestation.
Orange trees will be picked beginning early March 2019, or when the sugar level reaches an appropriate degree of sweetness.
As before, St. Mary’s Food Bank will be using refrigerated semi trucks which will be brought to the home in the morning and retrieved when the yard has been picked. There will be no bins left in the neighborhood and there will be no delays in collecting the fruit. This will eliminate any concerns over the unsightly bins with rotting fruit that have been seen in the past (although not as the result of the food bank’s gleaning efforts.)
If you do not have access to the Internet, a call to the Arcadia Water Company office will enable you to be signed up for picking. Please call Cindy at Arcadia Water Company, 480-945-4621 to provide her with the needed information for registration.
St. Mary’s may be conducting a non-perishable food drive as a part of its gleaning efforts this year—watch your email for more information from St. Mary’s on how you can participate in this additional opportunity to help the less-fortunate in our community.
St. Mary’s and Sun Orchards have worked hard to make this a success and we are certain you will see the benefit this year.